Thursday, October 27, 2011

A raw food talk, an interview, and a little something to make you laugh!

Hi everyone! Firstly, I wanted to share this amazing video of Kristin Chenoweth singing "If You Hadn't, But You Did." It's exactly the sort of musical theater song I'd love to sing someday--just watch it and you'll understand; it's hilarious! Here's the link--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gume4RcNU&feature=related.  The voice/video syncing is a little off (side effect of Youtube), but it's great nonetheless.  Gotta love Kristin Chenoweth!
Next, I talked last time about my interview with the paper. Here's the article--http://www.riponpress.com/main.asp?ArticleID=3443&SectionID=2&SubSectionID=20&PollID=204#PollSection  I actually made the front page of the local paper--*gulp--which I didn't expect! We have a four-day weekend, and I'm kind of glad.  Hopefully this means I won't have the whole school asking  'Is that the crazy girl on the freak diet? What IS she eating now??'  Lol, that's how a lot of students react when they hear about it--like I purposely torture myself with terrible food so I can be healthy.  It's not like I've committed to being a nun or anything! :) You can have amazing, lovely desserts on raw food--and that brings me to the next thing. 
I'm doing a raw food talk tonight for a lady I know from church.  This summer I did a raw talk/recipe demonstration at the library, and she came.  She requested the brownies with ice cream for tonight! :) I happily obliged.  She has a group that meets every week.  I'm kind of nervous about talking in front of a ton of people I don't know, but it's not that different from an audition, and when it gets to applying for college I'm going to have to do lots of those!
So, here's the recipe for the brownies with ice cream.  I don't have pictures yet, but I promise to post them next time.  The thing I love about this recipe is it only has four ingredients, and is super easy to prepare as long as you have the bananas frozen ahead of time.  (By the way, DON'T freeze bananas in the skins.  Please.  It really...doesn't...work.  Trust me, I know from experience.) They're absolutely delicious and will definitely win over most people to the decadence of raw desserts in their simplest form!

Raw Chocolate Brownies

2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup raw Medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup cacao/cocoa powder

Grind the walnuts into a powder in the food processor, and then grind about half a minute more, till some of the walnut flour is sticking to the side.   Add the dates and cacao and process until it is mostly smooth and the mixture sticks together.  Put it in a brownie pan or form it into brownies if you make a smaller batch.  If you want them to be a little stiffer, you can store them in the fridge. 

Ice Cream (nut free)

4-5 frozen bananas, broken into chunks and allowed to thaw for 15-20 minutes
Optional: mix-ins such as chopped nuts, cacao powder, fruit (strawberries are great for a strawberry banana ice cream), chocolate chips, etc.

Put the frozen bananas in your food processor (don't bother cleaning it out).  Make sure there are enough to cover your food processor blades.  Add your mix-ins if you have any, and process.  It will take a minute or two, and you'll have to occasionally stop to scrape down the sides.
There you have it! Top your brownies with banana ice cream and serve.  A very versatile, simple recipe!

Have a great day, everyone!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment